Creative juice flows from the well of the inner you, from the part of you that is always connected to the source of light and life in the universe. It is from the well of creativity that ideas and words flow, a sense of boundless energy and abundance arises, and an immense sense of well-being expands until it fills your life.
The well is not endlessly self-renewing. It is possible to take and take from the wellspring of creativity without replenishing the supply. That will work for a time, but there will eventually be a cosmic correction, a heads-up that asks you to rethink your priorities. If your well needs to be refilled, it will become clear. But just in case you are busy ignoring the signals your body and spirit are sending you, here are some warning signs.
Signs That Your Well Needs Filling
- Are you cranky & irritable?
- Are you sleepy?
- Does the world feel as if it is spinning past just a little bit faster than you can keep up with?
- Are you getting headaches, back aches, or stomach aches?
- Do you have a cold or other illness?
- Does most of your energy and attention flow outward, into other people, things, and situations?
- Are you finding it hard to find time to meditate or even to simply sit in silence?
- Do you walk the dog while talking on the cell phone?
- Does your energy feel heavy and resistant when you sit down to write?
There are many more signals that your body, your emotions, and your spirit might send you to let you know that you have to rebalance the yin and the yang, the out and the in, the other-directed and self-directed energy of your life. If you pay attention, you will learn what your personal warning signs are, and learn to respond the minute you notice that you are out of balance.
For some of us, being in emotional balance, filling our creative wells, and attending to the needs of our inner wisdom come naturally. For most of us, it is something we must learn to do, while for a few of us, filling our wells is an infrequent and guilt- inducing event. Wherever you fall on the spectrum of self-care, know this: Spirit will keep talking to you even if at first you aren’t listening. As you learn to hear your spirit and nurture your divine creative self, you will find that effort repaid by increasing motivation and inspiration to write.
Stay tuned for more on this topic. Until then—go take a hot bath.